Monday, November 5, 2012

Let's ramble about crackers.

I know, I know, everyone (meaning you, Eliza, the only one whose following me) must be devestated that I haven't blogged in, oh, a week. Between Hurricane Sandy and our integrated projects there just wasn't the time. And tech week. We can't forget tech week.

Since we finished our unit on the Revolution, it looked like on Friday we were jumping right into a new one on slavery. To mentally prepare ourselves, Mr. Boyle had us watch an enlightening Ted Talks video on a woman who photographed slavery in modern day. As Chelsea informed us, "a picture is worth a thousand words."

We were then split into groups based on whatever reading we received. You guessed it, we had to read and summarize, along with putting it in a storyboard. My group recieved "Childhood," a excerpt about the childhood of a girl born a slave. She truely brought to light that ignorance is bliss, since she seemed completely content with her childhood, her mistress, and spent a lot of the time going into great detail about her grandmother's cracker making process. Yes, crackers. Lots of crackers. You can even see my love artistic interpretation of crackers and cracker making on the storyboard.

Today we filled out a Ven (or Ben) Diagram about the three different readings from the day before, before getting split again into different groups, based on whose biographies we had. Lucky, lucky me, I got Frederick Douglass, someone who I had already been acquainted with - I'm reading his book, maybe?

On an almost completely unrelated note, Mr. Boyle is having us start a 30 Day Challenge. Exciting, right? I've decided for my challenge to be to compliment at least five people a day, for thirty days. You'll be getting progress on my challenge every other day (ish.)

No comments:

Post a Comment